Sunday, May 4, 2014

Spring in North Idaho - Part 2




The large serviceberry bush is blooming in front of our house on the hill.  Here's a close-up.



My favorite wildflower  is the shooting star, which we always called the love dart. Has a lovely scent, too.



The yellow bell was difficult to find when we were children out picking flowers. But this is one of three I found just beyond the house last week.


Walking up the trail behind the house . . . 


 I came upon this woodland flower, whose name I've never known, my flower guide with blurry photos being of little help. It shall remain a lovely mystery.


 But the wild strawberries are in bloom. Maybe this year I'll beat the birds to some.

In the meantime, the elk have come back to calve. We have to be careful to stay out of some brushy steep areas the cows have chosen.


3 comments:

  1. Such beautiful sights--that shooting star is beautiful. I used to have a Henry Evans print of one, that I loved. (Where is it?) I have never seen elk so close. How is the new house?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Still love the house - not so new any longer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. I'm glad it has settled well with you.

      Delete